OUR SITE HAS MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION!

THIS SITE HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO WWW.LEANHOG.NET. ALL FUTURE POSTS WILL BE POSTED ON WWW.LEANHOG.NET. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO GO TO OUR NEW SITE.

WE HAVE MADE MANY CHANGES TO THE FORMAT, LOOK AND FEEL AND CONTENT OF OUR NEW SITE SO PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK IT OUT, I THINK YOU WILL ENJOY IT. THANK YOU!

Jeremy Knutson


Showing posts with label cash hogs. Show all posts
Showing posts with label cash hogs. Show all posts

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hog Comments - 08-27-08 Uneventful grain trade but hogs lock limit lower.

Dec '08 Corn Daily Chart
CORN 
Corn didn't have much of a day today other than opening .06 higher and ultimately got as much as .09 higher before making a run at yesterday's low of $5.88 which I talked about in yesterday's posting.  I sold Dec '08 corn today at $5.95 (exiting buy stop at $6.05 1/2) as a delta hedge against my long call spread I have on.  I am trying to protect my equity in this option strategy if the market moves lower.   What I mean by delta hedge is if I have 100 corn call options on and my delta is 30% that means for every .10 cents the market moves my calls will change .03 cents in value or 30% of the futures move.  To "hedge" my delta I would need to sell 30 contracts of underlying corn futures contract to neutralize my position.  The delta changes with price so it's a moving target but when I hedge the delta it neutralizes my position.  It needs to be managed, it isn't something you do and forget about.  Please do not try to delta hedge a position if you are unsure of what you are doing, it may cause your position to act in a way you didn't think it would! 

I am looking for a move toward $5.81 and eventually $5.65 before we really bottom the corn market from a short-term standpoint.  I am writing this posting at 8:00 p.m. CST and corn is down  1/2 cent with 1004 contracts traded in the Dec '08 futures.  I am skeptical of a rally in the corn market but am willing to admit I am wrong at the drop of a hat to go long if I need to.  My ONLY concern right now is the prospect of frost.  I think we all know this will be a source of speculation by the trade in the coming weeks; therefore it will be tough for the corn or soybean market to fall out of bed.  I think corn will still be indecisive tomorrow probably trading both sides but still favoring a downward bias.


Dec '08 Meal Daily Chart

MEAL
Soybean meal can't make up its mind either.  It has been independently strong over the last couple days but today traded right along with soybeans and corn.  I sold soybeans and soybean meal today.  I exited my meal positions at $367.00 today for breakeven to a very small gain on the trade, I didn't like the way the market was acting and it turned out it was a good move as the market closed at $365.00 today.  Meal looks short-term toppy to me.  I think we could see lower trade tomorrow on a push toward our $360.40 low of today.  I will TRY and wait for $343.30 to look at getting long again.  As usual, I will admit I am wrong and take a position on the long side if the market tells me to.  I feel the same way about soybeans; it looks like we are at a short-term top in the market which is why I went short the market today at $13.45 (exiting buy stop at $13.73) in the Nov '08 contract.  I usually wait for the first hour of trade to end before I make a trade decision in the market.  The first hour trade range was established and $13.45 was around 50% of the way back to the high we had early in the day.  I expect lower trade from soybeans and meal tomorrow.  Currently Nov '08 beans are down .07 and Dec '08 meal is up .10 cents.  


Oct '08 Hogs Daily Chart (pit chart)

HOGS
 All of my support points were blown through today.  Oct '08 hogs opened $1.80 lower and traded $2.35 lower then came back and was trading $1.90 lower all within 10 minutes of the open.  I thought okay, I said yesterday in my comments that hogs could reach limit lower today and usually when I make a statement like this the market proves me wrong!  It didn't take very long before Oct '08 traded limit lower and locked there and never looked back.  Oct '08 is trading $1.50 lower tonight in the Globex trade which places the futures at $69.00.  I said my next level of support was ultimately $68.25 in the Oct '08 futures and our overnight low is $68.82 so far.  I would expect another burst of selling tomorrow as cash was down around $3.82 today and cutout was down another $2.05!  

I expect tomorrow to have another tough day but I don't know as though we will be able to lock limit lower like we did today.  The weighted average cash price on hogs is said to be at $73.42 cwt in IA/MN per the USDA and the Oct '08 futures closed at $70.50 so the cash markets lead on futures has narrowed significantly.  If the futures continue to tumble below a limit move tomorrow then the trade must REALLY be anticipating a larger move lower in cash.  We are and have been hedged on all of our hogs in inventory and then some which felt good today in the face of these markets.  We will be looking for a place to exit our short hedges and replace our hedges with put options or another type of option strategy so we can maintain the equity of the futures positions that we have gained in recent weeks.  I think this market is too volatile to not have any hedge coverage in place therefore I would suggest using some catastorphic option protection below the market if you choose to remove your hedges and take profit on them.  If you want ideas of what to do and when to do it feel free to give me a call and we can discuss a strategy, my toll-free number is 1-877-212-2564.  

In summary, I expect corn to be mixed to lower tomorrow, soybeans and meal lower and hogs lower but I don't think we can lock limit lower for a large portion of the day.  I think if we touch limit it will be early in the session and then bounce because of bottom picking traders.  If cash remains weak at noon or the notion of lower cutout again tomorrow night then maybe we could lock it limit lower but for now I will say lower and possibly touching limit but not locking limit lower like we did today.

NOTICE - MY POSTING MAY BE LATE AGAIN TOMORROW BECAUSE I WILL BE TRAVELING FOR MEETINGS MOST OF THE DAY.  PLEASE CHECK LATER IN THE EVENING FOR MY COMMENTS.  AT SOME POINT TOMORROW I WILL TRY TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHEN I WILL POST COMMENTS, SIMILAR TO WHAT I DID TODAY.



USDA ESTIMATED PORK CARCASS CUTOUT
Based on FOB Omaha carlot pork prices and industry yields.

           Calculations for a 200 lb Pork Carcass
        53-54% lean, 0.65"-0.80" backfat at last rib
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
         Total                   Today's Primal Cutout Values
Date     Loads      Carcass    Loin    Butt   Pic     Rib   Ham  Belly
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
08/27       120.4      81.74  103.54   84.45  66.68  97.98 76.25  82.43
Change :               -2.05   -0.92   -7.15   3.39  -4.55 -6.32   2.07
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
National Direct Hog Price Comparison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                :  National   :    Iowa     :   Western   :   Eastern
                :             :  Minnesota  :  Cornbelt   :  Cornbelt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Base Price is the price from which no discounts are subtracted and
   no premiums are added.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BARROWS & GILTS :  3.23 lwr   :  3.84 lwr   :  3.66 lwr   :  2.71 lwr
Negotiated      :             :             :             :
CARCASS BASIS   : 68.50-80.20 : 68.50-76.00 : 68.50-80.20 : 72.00-78.50
185 lb Base Hog :   wtd avg   :   wtd avg   :   wtd avg   :   wtd avg
Plant Delivered :    74.36    :    73.42    :    73.71    :    75.27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Head Count      :   20,596    :    9,046    :   12,083    :    8,513
==========================================================================

Hurley & Associates believes positions are unique to each person’s risk bearing ability; marketing strategy; and crop conditions, therefore we give no blanket recommendations. The risk of loss in trading commodities can be substantial, therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. NFA Rules require us to advise you that past performance is not indicative of future results, and there is no guarantee that your trading experience will be similar to the past performance.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hog Comments - Oct hogs take it on the chin.


CORN
If you are having a hard time viewing the charts that I post, all you have to do is click on them to make them larger. Corn FINALLY closed a day above the previous days high which was $6.10 on yesterday's Dec '08 corn close. I am still staying with my thoughts from yesterday that I believe that any rallies we get the market should be met with selling. The numbers I gave yesterday are $6.22, $6.53 and $6.81 all in the Dec '08 contract. The market settled today at $6.13 1/2 and I would expect some buy stops to be triggered tonight and have the market up harder early tonight rather than later. We are not far away from my first target of $6.22 and it sounds as though the Government will not allow CRP acres to come out early this year (released at 1:45 p.m. central time). This news is viewed as bullish but I look at it as big whoop, this story is just something to stick a price rally to. The market is/was severely oversold and needed a recovery. I expect the markets to open better tonight and trade better through tomorrow but again I would expect to see resistance at $6.22 if we can get that high. My strongest resistance number is $6.80 in the Dec '08 contract, that is 50% retracement back to the $7.99 1/4 high we had in late June. Keep protecting feed needs in here!

MEAL
Meal broke early with soybeans and corn for that matter early this morning but mounded a little comeback toward the end of the day. Soybeans and wheat were the weakest link today by far, then meal and finally corn as the leader. I bought meal in Sep when it was down approximately $1.80 and sold it off around up $1.80. I had orders in to sell up at $375.00 but of course the market topped at $374.80, lucky me. I still don't think meal has major upside potential at this point but I don't think it is going to fall out of bed either. I believe meal is going to establish a range and trade within it until the crop report in August. Corn and soybeans feel as if they should be in the same boat. I expect early highs in meal tomorrow (or tonight) and then drift lower as the day proceeds. Again, I will look to buy dips in meal and I will also get long if the market acts in a way that isn't in line with the movement I expect. Keep protecting the upside in meal.

HOGS
Hogs took it on the chin today! The Oct contract was $2.00 lower at one point during the day but managed to rally back and close down $1.10 on the day. Oct '08 hogs touched its 50% retracement level of $71.35 today and bounced off of it. I would expect today's low to be support tomorrow. The market should test this low again to see if it will hold and if it doesn't then we could see $70.65 and then down to the low of $68.25. $72.45 should provide as resistance tomorrow but if we can continually trade above it tomorrow then we try to get up to today's high of $73.75. My feeling is still heavy on the hog market, I think we are living on borrowed time in the cash market. Again as I have said several times this past week; August 4th was the top of last years rally and then it was all downhill from there. I am not making that prediction as much as I am keeping it in mind. I expect a test of today's lows tomorrow.

USDA ESTIMATED PORK CARCASS CUTOUT
Based on FOB Omaha carlot pork prices and industry yields.

Calculations for a 200 lb Pork Carcass
53-54% lean, 0.65"-0.80" backfat at last rib
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Today's Primal Cutout Values
Date Loads Carcass Loin Butt Pic Rib Ham Belly
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
07/29 74.9 85.87 100.12 90.80 68.16 96.15 86.18 94.50
Change : 0.57 -0.41 0.11 -0.04 -0.87 -0.16 4.93

National Direct Hog Price Comparison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
: National : Iowa : Western : Eastern
: : Minnesota : Cornbelt : Cornbelt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Base Price is the price from which no discounts are subtracted and
no premiums are added.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BARROWS & GILTS : .53 lwr : .65 lwr : .75 lwr : .23 lwr
Negotiated : : : :
CARCASS BASIS : 72.25-82.10 : 73.00-82.10 : 73.00-82.10 : 72.25-80.00
185 lb Base Hog : wtd avg : wtd avg : wtd avg : wtd avg
Plant Delivered : 79.41 : 79.90 : 80.00 : 77.93

Hurley & Associates believes positions are unique to each person’s risk bearing ability; marketing strategy; and crop conditions, therefore we give no blanket recommendations. The risk of loss in trading commodities can be substantial, therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. NFA Rules require us to advise you that past performance is not indicative of future results, and there is no guarantee that your trading experience will be similar to the past performance.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Hog Comments - Another fun filled day of nothing.


CORN
Corn gave us a little run up in the overnight session blowing through Friday's high of $6.04 1/2 but failed to close above that level this afternoon. It still looks as though corn wants to make a bounce but we seem to be met with good selling anytime we try to make a strong move higher. The volume today (electronic) was around 94,000 contracts in the Dec '08 futures so the .04 3/4 higher close had some players behind it. I am sticking to my comments from Friday that we should have seen a strong move higher basis the buy signal I had last week but since we have failed to do so I would expect most of our rally attempts to be met with good selling. The levels of resistance that could see good selling are $6.22, $6.53 and $6.81 all in the Dec '08 contract. I don't expect the market to do anything crazy going into our August crop production report in a couple of weeks so with that said, I believe we are going to trade a range here for awhile and then look for direction when we get more news in the market. There has been some talk of a "ridge" over the cornbelt in the coming weeks but the predictions are unfounded according to some industry experts. As far as I can tell everything seems to look great in our backyard from a production perspective. I am still keeping my ceiling in place for feed needs but I am not looking for any major rallies to take out our June highs just yet. The crop ratings this afternoon have the crop 66% Good/Excellent vs. 58% last year and 62% on the 5 year average. Crop ratings could be viewed as slightly negative although I would be surprised if the trade wasn't expecting a better number than last week.

MEAL
Soybean meal started out stronger with the soybeans and corn this morning but couldn't hold the rally, it broke along with soybeans. I exited my meal hedges for now when the market was up $5.00 in the Sep contract but I am willing to get right back in if I am wrong. The market feels heavy to me after being as high as $12.90 higher in the overnight trade and it doesn't have enough believers to hold a strong rally. I feel like meal is in the same boat as corn, looking for a sideways pattern here for now and then look for reasons to breakout one way or the other. For now I am going to try and buy meal lower on any dips.

HOGS
Hogs tried to rally above what seems to be the forever talked about $74.00 level in the Oct '08 contract but failed to hold any rallies much past the first hour of trade. The Oct contract was down as much as .80 cents but rallied into the close to finish the day down around .47 cents. Extended trade is down around .32 (this is a continuation of today's pit trade) after the cash and cutout reports have been released at 3:00 p.m. central. We closed today below Fridays low and would expect some follow through to the downside tomorrow based on the lax fundamental news we got this afternoon. Cash seemed weak this morning but then firmed some as the day went on. There are no grave danger signs in cash just yet but we may be getting into borrowed time if we keep this up much longer. As a disclaimer, my strong suit is not in the cash hog commentary/predictions as much as it is the technical analysis of the charts and futures market bias.

USDA ESTIMATED PORK CARCASS CUTOUT
Based on FOB Omaha carlot pork prices and industry yields.

Calculations for a 200 lb Pork Carcass
53-54% lean, 0.65"-0.80" backfat at last rib
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Today's Primal Cutout Values
Date Loads Carcass Loin Butt Pic Rib Ham Belly
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
07/28 40.3 85.30 100.53 90.69 68.21 97.02 86.35 89.58
Change : 0.05 0.35 0.20 0.04 0.97 -1.71 1.98

National Direct Hog Price Comparison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
: National : Iowa : Western : Eastern
: : Minnesota : Cornbelt : Cornbelt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Base Price is the price from which no discounts are subtracted and
no premiums are added.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BARROWS & GILTS : .37 hgr : .33 hgr : .42 hgr : .22 lwr
Negotiated : : : :
CARCASS BASIS : 72.25-82.50 : 75.00-82.50 : 73.00-82.50 : 72.25-81.76
185 lb Base Hog : wtd avg : wtd avg : wtd avg : wtd avg
Plant Delivered : 79.95 : 80.59 : 80.77 : 78.26

Hurley & Associates believes positions are unique to each person’s risk bearing ability; marketing strategy; and crop conditions, therefore we give no blanket recommendations. The risk of loss in trading commodities can be substantial, therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. NFA Rules require us to advise you that past performance is not indicative of future results, and here is no guarantee that your trading experience will be similar to the past performance.