OUR SITE HAS MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION!

THIS SITE HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO WWW.LEANHOG.NET. ALL FUTURE POSTS WILL BE POSTED ON WWW.LEANHOG.NET. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO GO TO OUR NEW SITE.

WE HAVE MADE MANY CHANGES TO THE FORMAT, LOOK AND FEEL AND CONTENT OF OUR NEW SITE SO PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK IT OUT, I THINK YOU WILL ENJOY IT. THANK YOU!

Jeremy Knutson


Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hog Comments - 08-08-08 Grains continue lower as hogs trade higher.

CORN
Corn continued its downward spiral today, finally reaching the $5.13-.15 area as a low.  I said on Thursday that I thought Friday's trade would provide for an early high and late low.  I also said that I thought we could challenge the $5.49 1/2. Well, we got as high as $5.46 in the overnight trade on Thursday evening before beginning our nosedive.  Monday is going to be an interesting day because I have a potential buy signal at $5.13 3/4, BUT it is conditional.  If the market trades lower than $5.13 and comes back and trades back above $5.13 then I would have a buy stop at $5.14, but ONLY if it makes new lows and then moves higher again.  I am not convinced to do this with an aggressive straight futures position but I would DEFINETLY want to be covered with options right now for feed purposes for an extended amount of time.  The market could continue to move lower but that is the beauty of options, you can continue to lower your ceiling with the markets movement lower.  I would feel better about this buy signal that I speak of if the low on Friday was $5.13 1/4, but it was $5.13 3/4.  This isn't a perfect text book signal but in my mind it is definitely close enough to pay very close attention to.  It almost feels like this could be one of those reports that come out bearish on Tuesday, the market opens lower and then moves higher.  The only problem is funds have been liquidating positions on the way down so it isn't really a "normal" market, kind of like on the way up, some things just didn't make sense. 
My comments of caution here are be careful around this $5.13 area if you don't have feed needs covered through call options or some other type of strategy.  I am not recommending straight futures or cash positions just yet because like I have been saying this past week, I need to see the market close above a previous day's high before I get excited about a reversal.  IF this is a good signal, it should provide a violent move higher from here. I myself will wait for it to prove it to me first.
MEAL
Meal got slammed today as well.  I said on Thursday that I thought we could test the $343.40 level in the near future and we got as high as $339.70 before saying good enough and basically tanking.  I really don't see anything in meal that gets me extremely excited other than the fact we closed near our lows on Friday so it sets up a potential buy signal as well in the daily chart (short-term).  Again, like corn I am not overly excited about getting aggressively long meal here in futures or in the cash market, I chose to use options for coverage right now until I clearly see a sign of reversal.  The potential signal that I would have on Monday is if the market opens below Friday's low of $319.20, then trades lower only to be met with buying, then I would have a buy STOP at $320.00.  As I stated on Wednesday, the next level of support is down around $309.00 in the Sep '08 contract which is around $10.00/ton lower than Friday's close.  I strongly recommend protecting your meal needs with an option strategy but again I wouldn't get very aggressive with straight futures or cash purchases just yet.  I need more confirmation to get aggressive.
HOGS
Hogs had in my opinion a mediocre day today in the Oct '08 contract with cutout being up $2.09 on Thursday.  We opened the market $1.20 higher only to close it $.92 higher?  Huh.  My sell signal became null and void as of Friday's trade and if I was short based on that signal (and trading it) I would have been stopped out above Thursday's high of $78.25.  I didn't take that sell signal on Thursday (mainly because I am already hedged) but I also didn't stop out above $78.25.  It seems funny to me with cutout being up $2.09 that we only mustered a $.07 rally on the day of the cutout being up $2.09 (prior to knowing the cutout number) and only being up $.92 the day after and not even being able to close higher than where the market opened.  The trade Friday left me with more warning signals to not get extremely bulled up at this level.  The weekly close was good so the weekly chart looks fine, great actually, but the daily chart continues to throw negative signals at me but the market continues to move up.  There should be sell stops below Friday's low of $78.87 (electronic) come Monday. 
I heard on Friday that some packers aren't getting enough pigs at the price they want so there are talks of cutting kills to cool the cash market.  I am of the opinion that if I choose to exit positions I will buy an option strategy instead because it's less of a risk of not being hedged when the market turns south.  I had thought about buying calls on Friday but the day's trade concerned me some in regards to the gas that is left in the tank to move higher from here.  The US Dollar had its best rally week since the week of January 7th, 2005; this may have something to do with all the warning signals I am seeing in the market.  I think I am just going to stay short with the potential of putting on some options strategies if I see the need to.  If Friday was our high in Oct '08 hogs then a 50% retracement target would be $73.57 for support.  The market tried 6 times (on an hourly chart) to close above $78.35 on Friday but failed to do it, so to me that is pretty good resistance and it may be an area to sell on Monday for local traders.
I'm sorry there is no cutout or cash information today; I am having trouble importing it into the blog.
Cutout was up $.36
Cash was: National - $1.58 hgr, IA/MN - $1.96 hgr, Western - $1.90 hgr, Eastern - $1.18 hgr.
Hurley & Associates believes positions are unique to each person’s risk bearing ability; marketing strategy; and crop conditions, therefore we give no blanket recommendations. The risk of loss in trading commodities can be substantial, therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. NFA Rules require us to advise you that past performance is not indicative of future results, and there is no guarantee that your trading experience will be similar to the past performance.

No comments: